Quito Climate & Temperature
- Quito, Ecuador is at 0°10'S, 78°29'W, 2812 m (9226 ft). See map.
- Quito has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Quito is situated in or near the cool temperate wet forest biome.
- The average temperature is 14.4 degrees Celsius (58 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 1 °C (1.8°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype extremely hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 22.3°C (72.2°F) on average falling to 7.3°C (45.2°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 22.3°C (72.2°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 7.7°C (45.8°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 21.7°C (71°F) and average low temperatures are 8°C (46.4°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 21.3°C (70.4°F) during the day and lows of 8°C (46.4°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1013.8 mm (39.9 inches) which is equivalent to 1013.8 Litres/m² (24.87 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2058 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Quito you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia where you would find a Tropical wet climate (Tropical wet forest biome).
Quito Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Quito Climate Graph in Metric Units
Quito Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Quito, Ecuador Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides: